When you’re doing construction at home or on the job site, getting a roll off dumpster is one of the best decisions you can make. It’s one of the easiest and most affordable ways to dispose of household trash and construction debris. Plus, someone delivers the dumpster right to you and picks it up when you’re done. It doesn’t get any better than that.
But how do you go about choosing a dumpster rental company? Depending on where you live there could be more than half a dozen choices right in your hometown. So which one should you go with?
Here are five tips to help make your decision a little easier.
- Check References – As with most businesses, one of the best ways to make sure a dumpster rental company is reputable is to hear what other customers have to say. The company you are considering should be able to provide at least three references that you can contact to see how their jobs went. That way you can get a feel for whether or not you want to do business with them. If they are unwilling or unable to provide references, you should definitely look elsewhere as that is definitely not a good sign.
- Look For Same Day Service – One of the best indicators of a good dumpster rental service is the ability to provide same day service. Oftentimes you have to wait a few days or even a week for an available roll off dumpster, and that could cause unnecessary delays in your construction project. Having the option to have it delivered that day or whenever you need it is key.
- Be Mindful of Prices – Most people are unaware of what a dumpster rental should cost and understandably so. Unless you are in the construction business you may only need a dumpster every so often for a construction project or major household cleaning. As such, a lot of companies will charge outrageous prices for dumpster rental, sometimes as much as 50% more than what the cost should be. So do some research and find out what the general rates are in your area before making your decision. If a quote seems a bit inflated compared to the rest you should move on to the next provider.
- Look at Local Based Businesses – Further to tip #3 above, you’ll find that local based businesses typically offer much better prices than national dumpster rental companies. Those larger companies tend to charge much more to cover their costs yet it’s the same exact roll off dumpster that you’re getting from a local based entity. Also, smaller mom and pop type dumpster rental companies tend to give you much better customer service as your business is important to them and they want you to be satisfied. So definitely consider rental companies right in your area.
- Try to Avoid Large Trucks – If you are on a construction site, this may not be a big issue. But if you own a home, you might want to go with a dumpster rental company that has smaller trucks. Why? A smaller truck can fit into tighter spaces, which means less risk of driveway or landscaping damage. This is ideal for those with smaller driveways but can really benefit everyone. The roll off dumpster is the same size so why risk property damage with an unnecessarily large truck?